Ask an Expert
How can I treat my child’s blocked nose?
8th September 2015
A cold,and the blocked nose that came with it, should go away on its own. There’s no cure for the common cold, but there are many things you can do to give your child some relief for their stuffy nose.
Try these remedies for a blocked nose:
- Saline nose drops or sprays to help clear the nasal passages
- Vapour rub or a vapour plug to help with breathing. Age ranges vary, always check to see if the product is suitable for your child.
- For babies, use a bulb syringe to remove any discharge since they can’t blow their noses themselves
- Have them rest/sleep with their head elevated. Don’t put any soft bedding inside the cot. Place items under the mattress or use books to raise one end of the bed.
- A warm, moist atmosphere helps, so have your child sit in a hot, steamy bathroom or room with a humidifier. Some people find putting a wet towel on a hot radiator to moisturise the air works as well.
- If feeding is difficult, try smaller, more frequent feeds